Should You Install a Backup Generator at Your Home or Business?
Unexpected weather, excessive power consumption or even a blown transformer can take out the power of an entire block. When this happens, it can leave your home or office without power for hours or perhaps days. If you think a backup generator is an extravagant purchase, you will be surprised at the benefits of investing in one.
What is a Backup Generator?
A backup generator can be portable or permanently installed. It typically runs on natural gas or propane and hooks up to your home or office’s current electrical system. It takes on the electrical load so that you can run appliances, keep lights turned on and even run your heater during a power outage. Most generators kick in immediately following a power outage so that you have minimal down time. As long as they are installed properly (by a professional), they are safe and pose no risk to the occupants of your building.
While you can use a portable one, permanently installed generators offer greater benefits.
Why Install a Permanent Backup Generator?
Backup generators are a valuable investment for both residential and commercial properties alike that keep you out of the dark.
- Protection – Backup generators keep your lights, security systems and your HVAC systems working. In your home, you can continue cooking for your family, keep perishable items intact in freezers and refrigerators, etc. At work, you can prevent theft (a common occurrence during extensive power outages) by keeping your lights and security systems on.
- Difficult to Steal – Unlike portable generators, which can easily be wheeled or carried away, permanently installed generators are nearly impossible to steal.
- Stability – During a cold winter or hot summer, you can’t risk having your HVAC system down. Home and office occupants can stay comfortable even when the power is out. At your business premises, you can maintain optimum temperatures for your products and equipment (protecting the business from further losses).
- Less Downtime – Businesses that do not have backup generators can experience heavy downtimes. Downtimes mean loss in productivity and revenue.
- Possible Insurance Discounts – Some homeowners and business insurance programs offer a discount for installing backup generators.
A backup generator is affordable protection that keeps your family and business safe during a power outage. For maximum efficiency and safety, only use a professional electrical contractor to install your backup generator.
Call 732-332-1100 or fill out an online contact form to get in touch with us at JLC Electrical Contractors. We will ensure efficient and quick installation of a backup generator in your home or office.